Monday, January 31, 2011

My Gloria Steinham Soapbox......

I recently saw a group of straight men attack women for smoking, while it started with smoking it ended with them attacking women regarding their looks. This bothered me…..I will whole heartedly agree, smoking is really gross and people shouldn’t do it……all people, not just women.

  Having said that, my problem with men like this is that so often they are the same kind of men, uneducated, unattractive, broke with at least one kid…….hmmm. So my question is, what is it about something charmingly average hanging between your legs that makes you feel like you’re entitled? And why is it always men that do this, I could be wrong here but I have never seen a group of women standing around talking about how its so upsetting when they meet a guy that seems to have a lot going for him and then they realize he’s just a shallow loser…..nope women take you in and try to fix you.

    When I was single, I got criticized all the time for not dating men with children, I just didn’t. It wasn’t something I wanted or needed in my life; to me it was like getting on the airplane of life holding your baggage and someone else’s. I got demonized for this, especially by men but I can’t tell you how many times I got asked the, “do you have kids question?” by a man…..and THAT was ok?!?
My favorite excerpt from The Torch…………


 “Because women's work is never done and is underpaid or unpaid or boring or repetitious and we're the first to get fired and what we look like is more important than what we do and if we get raped it's our fault and if we get beaten we must have provoked it and if we raise our voices we're nagging bitches and if we enjoy sex we're nymphos and if we don't we're frigid and if we love women it's because we can't get a "real" man and if we ask our doctor too many questions we're neurotic and/or pushy and if we expect childcare we're selfish and if we stand up for our rights we're aggressive and "unfeminine" and if we don't we're typical weak females and if we want to get married we're out to trap a man and if we don't we're unnatural and because we still can't get an adequate safe contraceptive but men can walk on the moon.”
Author unknown, quoted in The Torch, 14 September 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment